GREENSBORO, N.C. -- From the pickle to the possum drop, North Carolina has its own unique way of ringing in the New Year, but what about the rest of America?
We found a number of states that have their own unique items that are lowered to celebrate the New Year.
- Mount Olive, NC: A 3 ft. lighted pickle will be lowered from a 45 ft. flagpole at the corner of Cucumber and Vine streets.
- Brasstown, NC: A possum will be lowered in a box from a pole outside of a convenience store.
- Port Clinton, OH: The city will drop a 20 foot, 600 pound walleye, a type of fish.
- Bethlehem, PA.: A 25-pound fiberglass Peep will be dropped from a crane.
- Presque Isle, ME.: A giant sardine will be dropped to honor the city's historic sardine fishing and canning past.
- Atlanta, GA.: An 800-pound peach will ring in the New Year along with a giant candy M&M that's new for 2014
- Plymouth, WI: An 80-pound decorated wedge of cheese will descend from 100-foot ladder truck.
- Flagstaff, AZ: A 6 ft. 70 lb. lighted pine-cone will be lowered from the Weatherford Hotel.
- New Orleans, LA.: The French Quarter will lower a Fleur de Lis to ring in the New Year.
- Mobile, AL: A huge Moon Pie will be lowered from a building.
- Key West, FL.: A giant conch shell will be dropped at a popular bar.