Chef Barry Moody www.spicedelight.com
Lentils and Brown Rice Salad
Makes 6 to 8 servings
2 medium carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons Spice Delight All-Purpose Essence
1 cup lentils
2 cups low sodium chicken stock
1 cup basmati or regular brown rice
Your favorite salad dressing
2 cups blanched broccoli
1 large tomato, chopped
1. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sauté carrots, onion and Spice Delight All-Purpose Essence in oil.
2. Stir in lentils and chicken stock.
3. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer for 45 minutes, or until tender.
4. While lentils are cooking, cook basmati brown rice following package directions.
5. Spread out cooked lentils and brown rice on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate until cool.
6. In a large bowl, combine lentils, brown rice, ½ cup of your favorite salad dressing, broccoli and chopped tomatoes.
7. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.