Image from a school shooting at Sparks Middle School on Monday morning, Oct. 21. / Steve Timko / RGJ
A gunman opened fire in a Nevada middle school Monday, killing one person and critically wounding two more, Sparks police said.
The Reno Gazette-Journal, citing Sparks City Manager Shawn Carey, said the shooter was killed by a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
"We believe the suspect has been neutralized," the Sparks Police Department said on its website, without further details.
Angela Rambo, spokeswoman for Renown Regional Hospital, said they have received two male patients, both minors, and both are in critical condition.
Police spokesman Rocky Triplett said students had been evacuated from the school to nearby Agnes Risley Elementary School, the newspaper said. The students from both schools were then being moved to Sparks High School.
The newspaper initally reported that a 12-year-old boy was shot as classes were starting, and the school was placed on lockdown.
The streets around the three schools were ringed with emergency vehicles following the shooting. Parents are being allowed to pick up children, but otherwise streets in the area were closed.