Boston Marathon Bombing, Getty Images
Authorities in Los Angeles and New York City have stepped up security in their cities and British police are reviewing security plans for Sunday's London Marathon because of the deadly bombs that hit the Boston Marathon Monday.
Two bombs exploded near the finish of the race in Boston, killing two people, injuring more than 50 others and sending authorities rushing to aid wounded spectators at America's oldest and most prestigious marathon, race organizers and police said.
CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reports from Washington that New York authorities were moving counterterrorism forces into place around major centers and landmarks in the aftermath of the explosions.
Steve Whitmore, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, said the department has opened the Emergency Operations Center, increased patrols for transit and other critical areas including the Los Angeles Dodgers game Monday night.
Chief NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said critical response teams are deployed around New York until more about the explosion is learned. The teams are highly visible patrol units that travel with lights and sirens.
The NYPD often steps up security in the city as a precaution based on incidents in other locations.
Whitmore said the department has also increased security around all county buildings and is coordinating with other law enforcement to gather more information about the incident.
The next major international marathon, the London Marathon, is a hugely popular race. Last year, some 37,500 athletes competed, with many more watching the springtime event.
London has long been considered a top target for international terrorists. In 2005, a series of suicide attacks on the public transport system in the British capital killed 52 people. London and mainland Britain also face a moderate threat from Northern Ireland-related terrorism, according to the government.
A London Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed Monday that police there are working with marathon officials to review security plans for Sunday's race, with an eye toward establishing a larger security presence. The spokesman spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to go on the record.
The London race's chief executive, Nick Bitel, expressed shock and sadness about the situation in Boston, saying "it is a very sad day for athletics and for our friends in marathon running."