LIVE VIDEO: Good Morning Show    Watch
 

Charges Filed In 3 Deaths At Best Western In Boone

6:51 PM, Jan 8, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BOONE, N.C. -- A grand jury has indicted a businessman on charges related to the deaths of three guests. Their deaths were linked to carbon monoxide poisoning at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone.

Barry Damon Mallatere, President of Appalachian Hospitality Management is charged with 3 Counts of Involuntary Manslaughter, and 1 charge of Assault Inflicting Serious Bodily Injury after a fourth person became sick.

In June of 2013, 11-year-old Jeffery Williams of Rock Hill, S.C. died after staying in one of the rooms at the motel. His mother, Jeannie Williams was rushed to the hospital but survived after coming out of a medically induced coma. The Williams stayed in the same room where 73-year-old, Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old, Shirley Mae Jenkins died.

All three guests died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials blamed a faulty pool heater for sending lethal levels of carbon monoxide into the room.

READ: Hotel's Pool Heater Manual Called For CO Detectors

READ: Carbon Monoxide: What You Need To Know

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos