Raleigh, NC-- Game is over for the video sweepstakes business in North Carolina. After a two year legal battle the ban can now be enforced.
Despite a 2010 law banning the games, Internet cafes that pay cash prizes continued until North Carolina's Supreme ruled against the industry late last year.
The court's ruling goes into effect Thursday clearing the way for law officers to enforce the ban.
State Attorney General Roy Cooper told WRAL-TV he doesn't anticipate widespread Internet café raids across the state on Thursday. Cooper said enforcement will likely vary across the state depending on the discretion of local officers and district attorneys.
WRAL found many businesses are already shutting down, but at least one high profile location plans to test the limits of the law.