Mary Ann Holder Kills Two Sons And Niece, Shoots 3 Others In Guilford County

6:38 PM, Nov 22, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Greensboro, NC -- A fourth person has died following a series of shootings by one woman in Guilford County Sunday morning.

The Guilford County Sheriff's Department confirmed Tuesday morning that 14-year-old Zachary Smith died Monday evening. Smith is the second son of shooting suspect Mary Ann Holder to die.  He was a freshman at Southeast Guilford High School.

Sheriff B.J. Barnes described Sunday's shooting as "one of the worst situations I've seen in my 30 years in law enforcement."

Barnes said the 36-year-old Holder shot her two sons, one son's girlfriend, a niece and nephew and a man she had an affair with before turning the gun on herself Sunday morning. Including Holder herself, four people were confirmed dead by Tuesday morning. 

"We've got a situation basically that no one could ever imagine would happen here in Guilford County," said Barnes. "This is the type of thing that you read about and hear about coming from California or New York or someplace like that. But it's right here."

The first of the victims that died was Holder's oldest son, 17-year-old Robert "Dylan" Smith.  Smith was found dead immediately following the shootings.  He had attended Southern Guilford High until 2009, when he withdrew. 

SLIDESHOW: Images of Zach, Mary Ann and Robert

On Monday, deputies announced that eight-year-old Hannaleigh Suttles, Holder's niece, died at the hospital.  Suttles was a third grader at Pleasant Garden Elementary.

At last word, Holder's nephew, 17-year-old Richard Brian Suttles, and Dylan's girlfriend Makayla Leigh Woods, 15, were listed in critical condition.  Suttles attends the Middle College at GTCC as a senior.  Woods is a sophomore at Southeast High School.

Barnes said all of the children were shot in the head.

A sixth victim, 40-year-old Randal Lamb, was shot in the shoulder.  Barnes said Lamb and Holder were involved in an affair in the past. The investigation into the shooting of Lamb started deputies' discovery of two other crime scenes.

PHOTOS: Images From The Scene

Deputies first got word of Lamb's injury in a 911 call at 9:08 a.m.  Lamb's wife called 911 after her husband told her he had been shot near the GTCC Aviation Center. 

Investigators believe Holder shot Lamb around 8:52 a.m.  Barnes said that Lamb and Holder had at one time been in an affair that ended in what appears to be a bitter breakup. 

Court documents show that Holder filed restraining orders against Lamb and his wife, saying they stalked and harassed her and that Lamb constantly drove past her house. Lamb's wife filed a restraining order against Holder, saying she would constantly call and text their cell phones and that Holder also sent nude pictures of herself to her boyfriend's wife.

Lamb's wife also planned to file an alienation of affection claim, which in North Carolina, allows someone who is cheated on to sue the person their spouse had an affair with.

After receiving information from Lamb, deputies went to Holder's home on Cocoa Drive in Pleasant Garden to look for the suspect around 9:22 a.m.  Around that same time, detectives said Holder arranged to pick up her son Zach at a location where he had been spending the night.

At 10:11 a.m., a deputy spotted Holder's car on Remora Road.  When he turned to approach the car he saw a "puff of smoke" and believed the suspect shot herself at that time.

The deputy found Mary Ann Holder dead in the car. They also found Zachary Smith shot in the head in the backseat.

Investigators then went to Holder's house on Cocoa Drive, where they found Dylan Smith dead.

Sheriff Barnes said that Holder left behind a note in which she took responsibility for the shootings and apologized for her actions. He also said the note implied that she had been "wronged" in some way and she was angry with how the relationship with Lamb ended.

"We may never know exactly what her thoughts were and why," said Barnes.

Nora Carr, Chief Of Staff for Guilford County Schools, released a statement regarding the tragedy.

"The Guilford County Schools family has been greatly impacted by the violent and tragic incident that took place in our community on Sunday. We know many of our students, staff and families are struggling. The district has placed crisis teams at the affected schools to provide support to those who need it. We are continuing to work with law enforcement agencies with their investigation. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families."

WFMY News 2 / Associated Press

Most Watched Videos