GREENSBORO, NC -- As these temperatures get colder many people will crank up the heat and turn on the fireplace.
Before turning on the space heater or fireplace make sure everything is clean and ready to go.
Bridget Crump from the Greensboro Fire Department told WFMY News 2 space heaters should be plugged directly into outlets.
"Don't use extension cords or things of that nature," Crump said. "Make sure you don't put anything around them that's combustible like sheets, blankets, paper, things of that nature."
Crump also recommends getting your fireplace professionally cleaned before using it.
It's important to clean the ashes out of your chimney.
Ashes from wood burning fireplaces should be put in a metal can.
Logs from gas fireplaces should be cleaned,as well.
wfmy news 2