On Thursday, officials at Wake Forest University announced a 5-year partnership between the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial and Greensboro Coliseum. The Greensboro Coliseum will book and manage the operations at LJVM.
Read: Greensboro Coliseum To Manage Operations At LJVM
WFMY News 2 is looking into the details of this partnership and how it will affect these two cities.
Here are some facts about these two venues:
- Opened in 1989
- Capacity: 14,665
- Cost to build: $26 million
- Named after Lawrence Joel, a Winston-Salem native who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. The facility honors Forsyth County veterans who died in WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada and the Persian Gulf.
- WFU completed its purchase of the LJVM from the city of Winston-Salem in August 2013.
- Home to WFU's men's and women's basketball teams
Greensboro Coliseum Complex:
- Founded in 1959
- Coliseum seats 20,000+; War Memorial Auditorium seats 2,400
- Largest sing-seat arena in the country
- Renovated in 2013 before hosting the ACC basketball tournament
- Hosts more than 1,000 events annually
- Home to UNCG men's basketball