North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper. File photo.
RALEIGH, N.C. -- A company that offers health care training programs has been ordered to stop after it was accused of operating illegally and charging students hundreds of dollars, according to the North Carolina Attorney General's Office.
Attorney General Roy Cooper accused Thomas Healthcare Institute of offering vocational and exam preparation courses in Greensboro and Raleigh, despite having their license revoked February 6, 2013.
Wake County Superior Court Judge Howard S. Manning granted a request to temporarily ban the institute from offering its products and services until the case is complete.
Cooper intends to refund students and place a permanent ban on the company's practices, according to the attorney general's office.
An affidavit filed by an instructor earlier this year says Thomas Healthcare Institute moved its practices from a space rented at Moses Cone Hospital to an Econo Lodge off I-40 near Burlington. According to the affidavit, the instructor says she taught phlebotomy and EKG courses in a hotel room that was dusty and unsuitable for medical training. The affidavit also said students were upset they had to commute to Burlington after paying hundreds of dollars for a class they believed would be in Greensboro. The instructor said she was threatened to be replaced when she confronted the owner; she resigned shortly after learning the institute was operating without a license.
Cooper also accused the company of not refunding a Raleigh-area student $450 for a study group that was canceled.
"Always check out a trade school or vocational program thoroughly before you pay any money to enroll," Cooper said in a statement. "Also, remember that your local community college may offer the training you need at a fraction of the cost."