Firework Explodes Into SC Man's Chest

11:33 AM, Jul 5, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Travelers Rest, SC (WSPA) -- A man in South Carolina died after a Fourth of July accident, when a firework exploded in his hands. 

The Greenville County Coroner's Office told CBS-affiliate, WSPA, that Robin Rhodes Smith, 54, died while he was transported to the hospital from his home around 9:45 pm.

Witnesses said Smith was shooting fireworks in his yard. Smith tried to fix a fuse on a firework, that had a 4-inch round mortar, which didn't immediately ignite, according to WSPA.

Smith picked up the firework, used a pocketknife to install a new fuse, and sat in a chair before lighting it with the launching tube against his chest, WSPA reported. The mortar went into Smith's chest.

Emergency crews said Smith was in cardiac arrest when they arrived. He will have an autopsy, Friday.

The coroner's office told WSPA that witnesses think Smith might have reloaded the mortar round upside down.


Most Watched Videos