Columbia, SC (WLTX) - Former South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford is responding to reports that he trespassed on his ex-wife's property.
Sanford released a statement Wednesday explaining what took place earlier this year between he and his ex-wife, Jenny Sanford.
Tuesday night, the Associated Press reported that Jenny Sanford had filed a complaint against him for trespassing at her home in Sullivans Island back on February 3rd.
Sanford, though, says he was just spending time with his son.
"It's an unfortunate reality that divorced couples sometimes have disagreements that spill over into family court. I did indeed watch the second half of the Super Bowl at the beach house with our 14 year old son because as a father I didn't think he should watch it alone. Given she was out of town I tried to reach her beforehand to tell her of the situation that had arisen, and met her at the back steps under the light of my cell phone when she returned and told her what had happened.
"There is always another side to every story, and while I am particularly curious how records that were sealed to avoid the boys dealing with embarrassment are now somehow exposed less than three weeks before this election, I agree with Jenny that the media is no place to debate what is ultimately a family court matter, and out of respect for Jenny and the boys, I'm not going to have any further comment at this time," Sanford said.
The AP reports that the couple's 2010 divorce settlement states that the two cannot enter each other's home without permission. The complaint, according to the AP, claims that Jenny Sanford had told Mark Sanford before not to come onto the property.
Mark Sanford is running for the vacant First Congressional District Seat. In a statement to the AP, Jenny Sanford said she did not want to get in the way of his race.