Parents With Problem Children Can Find Help

6:42 PM, Mar 5, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Greensboro, NC -- It's easy to talk about tough love, but it's so hard to put in to practice.

After 16-year-old Ayana Pearson was charged for making a false Facebook threat against Page High School, her mom made a hard decision and left Pearson in jail.

Pearson's mom told WFMY News 2 she didn't know how else to get through to her daughter, so she didn't bail her out.

She's not the only parent at the end of their rope, so WFMY News 2 looked for places parents can find help.

Talking to your kid's school resource officer or guidance counselor is a great first step. They're around your children for hours each day and can point you to programs run by both community groups and law enforcement. And they're proof you're not alone.

People who have dedicated their lives to helping at-risk youth said Tuesday that even great parents can have kids who are hard to handle.

"Sometimes you just have children who take a different path, take a different journey and it does not matter how good a parent you are," MCpl. Dee Jackson from the Guilford County Sheriff's said. "That just happens to be the journey that they're on."

Jackson points out that the sheriff's office runs several programs that parents can look to when they need help keeping their kids on the right path.

Once annually, there's the Sheriff's Youth Academy -- slated this year for June 24-28. Teens aged 14-18 don uniforms, go through classes, experience physical training and get a taste of what it takes to succeed in law enforcement. Jackson says it helps straighten out teens who might've found trouble before. The academy is free, and sign-ups should start in the coming weeks.

You can contact the sheriff's office at 641-3694 for information about the academy, the Explorer Post Program that operates in conjunction with the Boy Scouts of America or to sign up your child for a tour of the jail to see what life behind bars is like.

The Greensboro Police Department has a Child Response Initiative that includes a consortium of healthcare providers and community groups, a department spokeswoman said. Children must be referred by a law enforcement officer, which can include a school resource officer.

Dialing 211 connects you to the United Way's 24-hour, multilingual hotline. The United Way can connect you to agencies such as Teen Court, Youth FOCUS, Family Service of the Piedmont and more. The 211 number works all across the Piedmont, regardless of where you live.

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos