Greensboro, NC-- The United Way of Greater Greensboro (UWGG) is looking to lighten the load for filing tax returns.
Wednesday the agency announced the availability of the Facilitated Self-Assistance free tax preparation sites and online service at local non-profits.
Who qualifies? Households earning up to $57,000 annually can qualify to get free help preparing their tax return.
This free online filing service through myfreetaxes.com is for people who:
- Have a household Adjusted Gross Income of $57,000 or less.
- Have basic computer and internet skills.
- Want to do their own taxes with access to an IRS certified volunteer.
FSA is one of two ways to get free help from IRS certified volunteers. FSA volunteers will be available by phone, email or online chat to answer questions. If in-person help is needed, call 2-1-1 for local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites.
People wanting to use the FSA service should be prepared with the following:
- Driver's license or non-driver ID. Spouses filing jointly must both be present.
- W-2s, 1099s and other income and tax related forms.
- Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN) for each family member and working adult.
- Childcare provider name, address and tax ID.
- Bank routing and account numbers for checking and savings accounts if direct deposit is desired.
- Valid email address.
- A copy of last year's tax return if available.
The United Way affiliated sites, in Greensboro, for the FSA tax preparation service are:
Greensboro Housing Authority
(*Residents only / see website at www.gha-nc.org )
Guilford Child Development
1200 Arlington St., Greensboro 27406
First Saturday of the month, 10:00-1:00 / Weekdays 9:00-4:00 / Tuesday and Thursday evenings by appointment 336- 369-5097 -or- 336-369-5034
Piedmont Health Services & Sickle Cell Agency
1102 E. Market St., Greensboro 27401
1500 Yanceyville St, Greensboro 27405
Monday through Friday 3:00-5:00
YWCA of Greensboro
4002 Spring Garden St. Suite E, Greensboro 27407
Monday through Friday 9:00-2:00 / Evenings by appointment
Women's Resource Center
628 Summit Ave, Greensboro 27405
Individuals who qualify to file using Myfreetaxes.com can file online anytime using Myfreetaxes.com/Greensboro. The link can also be found at www.unitedwaygso.org.
UWGG, in conjunction with several of its Partner Agencies in the Greensboro area, is coordinating the Facilitated Self-Assistance (FSA) free, online state and federal income tax filing service.