Two Topeka Kansas Officers Killed After Shootout With Suspect In A Car

2:05 PM, Dec 17, 2012   |    comments
  • Cpl David Gogian, Ofcr. Jeff Atherly, Courtesy: KCTV
  • Officers Killed, Courtesy: KCTV
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Topeka, KS-- Two police officers were killed late Sunday night responding as backup on a suspicious car call outside a grocery store in Topeka, Kansas.

CBS Station KCTV is reporting the man suspected in the fatal shooting of two Topeka police officers died after an armed standoff with law enforcement, early Monday morning.

Topeka Police Chief Ronald Miller called the Sunday evening shootings of Cpl. David Gogian and Officer Jeff Atherly unspeakable. He announced the news of the officers' deaths as a small crowd gathered nearby for a candlelight vigil outside police headquarters.

He said Gogian, 50, and Atherly, 29, were both shot in the head by a gunman who opened fire on them within minutes of their arrival to investigate a suspicious vehicle.

According to the chief, the officers were responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle about 6:10 p.m. outside the Dillons grocery store located at Southwest Huntoon and Southwest Lane streets.

Gogian and Atherly had arrived as backup for another officer when someone in the vehicle they were investigating started shooting.

"I don't believe they had any idea this situation was going to go this direction as quickly as it did," Miller told KCTV.

The officers exchanged gunfire with a man. Miller told the media there was more than one person in the vehicle.

Police would not say whether the officers had reached the vehicle when they were shot or what kind of gun was used in the shooting.

Miller didn't know the motive for the shooting but said the suspect has a criminal history, though he wouldn't elaborate.

A nearly two-hour standoff in the 300 block of Southwest Western Avenue in Topeka ended Monday morning with police removing the alleged shooter from the home.

Monday morning the Kansas Bureau of Investigation officers and other authorities surrounded the home after receiving a tip. SWAT team officers lobbed tear gas into the home just after 6 a.m. and the suspect came out of the home carrying a gun.

Shots were fired by law enforcement, and the suspect was hit and transported to a an area hospital. It is unknown at this time if the suspect fired the gun he was carrying.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the hospital. His name has not been released.


Most Watched Videos