Raleigh, NC-- Wednesday, State Health Director Laura Gerald confirmed that a third person in North Carolina has been hospitalized with meningitis.
Gerald said the patient had received a spinal injection with steroids linked to a multistate outbreak. The patient is being monitored.
In North Carolina, 313 individuals have been identified as having received a steroid injection with the contaminated lots of NECC product. All patients who received the shot have been notified.
Earlier this month a Davidson County person died after contracting meningitis from the shot. Health officials said two more individuals are being treated for fungal meningitis related to the product.
"We are urging providers to continue to be alert for symptoms of meningitis in patients that have received the contaminated medication and to contact the Division of Public Health immediately if they are aware that someone who was exposed has become ill," said Gerald. "In this outbreak, symptoms typically have appeared within six weeks following injection, but it's important to know symptoms could still appear months later."
The three contaminated lots of methylprednisolone acetate were recalled by NECC on September 26, 2012. All other medications produced by NECC were recalled on October 6. As of October 30, 363 cases of meningitis and 28 deaths had been linked to the outbreak nationwide.
A list of healthcare facilities that received the three contaminated lots of methylprednisolone acetate from NECC has been posted online. Click on CDC to see the list.