GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Christmas is just around the corner, and there are many things to consider when it comes to making sure it's a safe and fun holiday.
WFMY News 2's Patrick Wright and Tom Garcia spent Thursday morning showing you how to get your home ready for the holiday.
Check out some of the tips they gave on the Good Morning Show:
-Check the tree's needles to make sure they don't fall off the stems.
-Cut the bottom of the tree stump, allowing the tree to better absorb water
- Make sure the tree always has plenty of water, and use preservative (store bought or homemade) to keep the tree fresh for as long as possible.
- Keep away from flammable sources.
- Use wider-based tree stands for more stability.
- Be sure your extension cord is adequate for the amount of power you're using; Tom recommends medium duty or better.
- Check smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to be sure they're working properly.
- When using lighting for outdoors, make sure it's rated for wet conditions.
- LED lights use 80-90 percent less energy than incandescent lights and generate almost no heat.
WFMY News 2