LIVE VIDEO: Good Morning Show    Watch
 

Fire At Glen Eagles Apartment Complex In Winston-Salem

6:51 PM, Nov 25, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Firefighters have closed their investigation of an apartment fire in Winston-Salem.

Chief Poplin says the fire at Glen Eagles apartment complex was accidental. He said the fire started with faulty wiring connected to an electrical box on the outside of the building, which spread to the attic.

Officials tell WFMY News 2 that 17 adults and seven children are displaced by the fire. The people affected by the fire are staying in other apartments within the complex. The Red Cross is helping them with food, clothing and money for medical expenses.

The Winston-Salem Fire Department told WFMY News 2 they received the fire report at 4:19 a.m. The complex is on Braehill Terrace Drive off Peace Haven Road.

Battalion Chief AT Byrum said the fire destroyed the top four units in the building, and he said the eight units below are severely damaged by water.

Officials also said one man received a minor injury as he was exiting the building, but he was treated on scene and was not transported to the hospital for additional care.

WFMY News 2's Meghann Mollerus was on scene and spoke with a disaster response volunteer, who said he had spoken with the apartment complex manager.  He said the manager told him the building most likely is a "total loss."

The apartment building is 30 years old.

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos