Greensboro, NC -- There are few causes that can draw thousands of women together before sunrise on a Saturday. The fight against breast cancer is one of them. It is too important not to do everything possible to try to stop it.
That's where the Women's Only 5K Walk & Run in Greensboro comes in. The event is Oct. 5, and the Good Morning Show wants to make sure you are ready for it.
John Dewey from Off 'N Running in Greensboro stopped by the studio Monday to give tips on how to train for the race.
Before you start, take these into consideration:
- Make sure you are cleared by a physician to take part in a cardiovascular program
- Find a safe route to walk/run outside, use a treadmill for indoor training
- Make a plan and stick with it
- Make sure you have the correct shoes for the type of walking/running you plan to do. Also make sure they are equipped for pavement use
- Consider recruiting friends or joining groups
- Warm up and cool down appropriately
- Stay hydrated
If you are cleared to workout, Dewey suggests making a plan that involves intervals of walking and running.
Week 1: Walk 4 minutes, jog 1 minute = Total 25 minutes
Week 2: Walk 3 minutes, jog 2 minutes = Total 25 minutes
Week 3: Walk 2 minutes, jog 3 minutes = Total 25 minutes
Week 4: Work up to jogging 5 - 10 minutes with short breaks in between = 25- 30 minutes
Watch the attached video for more information on choosing the right shoe for your exercises.
Click here for information on how to register for the Women's Only 5K Walk & run.
Click here for information on Off 'N Running.
WFMY News 2