Greensboro, NC -- February is American Heart Month and heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women in the United States. That's why WFMY News 2's Good Morning Show wanted to help you talk with doctors about your heart health for free.
A number of doctors with Novant Health helped answer viewer calls and questions on our Good Morning Show.
The American Heart Association shared statistics with us to show how huge heart disease really is.
- Every 39 seconds someone dies from heart disease and stroke
- Every 25 seconds an American will have a coronary event
- 1 in every 3 women in the U.S. dies of heart disease
- Each year, an estimated 785, 000 Americans will have their first heart attack
- Only 1 in 5 women realize heart disease is their greatest health risk
- We lose one woman every minute to cardiovascular disease
- 1 of every 3 deaths in the U.S. is caused by heart disease and stroke
- More women die of cardiovascular disease than the next five causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
- 80% of heart disease in women is preventable