Want a turkey that will knock the socks off your family and friends this Thanksgiving? Renowned chef John McLemore stopped by the News 2 Kitchen to show how it's done. He authors the cookbook Dadgum That's Good, Too! Chef McLemore whipped up his deep fried turkey and pear pies.
Garlic and Herb Deep-Fried Turkey Recipe:
- 1 fresh or frozen whole turkey (10 - 14 pounds)
- 2 gallons cooking oil, preferably peanut oil
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle Butterball Garlic and Herb Turkey Marinade or your favorite brand
- Butterball Garlic and Herb Turkey Seasoning or your favorite brand
- Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator. Fill the deep fryer halfway with oil and heat to 375 degrees. Remove unwanted parts of the meat and rinse with warm water. You can also soak it in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Make sure the turkey is dry. Inject 1/2 cup of marinade in each breast of the turkey with a syringe. Inject 1/4 cup of marinade into each leg and thigh. Generously put seasoning on the outside of the turkey.
- Place turkey breast-side up in the fryer basket. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes per pound of turkey. The turkey is done when the thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- Let the turkey rest of 10 minutes before carving.
Masterbuilt Court Pear Pies Recipe:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 pears, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 gallon cooking oil
- 6 egg roll wrappers
- Cinnamon sugar or confectioner's sugar
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add pears. Stir frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until softened.
- Fill deep fryer halfway with oil and heat to 350 degrees F.
- Divide pear mixture onto wrappers. Fold (watch attached video for a demonstration).
- Fry the pies, turning once, for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until golden brown.
Watch the attached video for instructions from the chef himself.
To find out more about Chef John McLemore, including how to get a copy of his cookbooks, check out his website.
WFMY News 2