Pig Skin Potatoes
• 2 Packages Thin-Sliced Bacon
• 3 Pounds Small Creamer Potatoes
• 1 Tbsp. Oil
• 1 Sprig Rosemary, leaves removed and minced
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese
• 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
• 2 Shallots, diced
• 1/2 Bell Pepper, diced
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray the back of a mini-muffin tin with cooking spray. Cover each cup of the under side of a mini-muffin tin with a slice of bacon. Place muffin tin on a sheet pan to catch the grease and bake in oven until bacon is browned and crisp (15-20 minutes). Let cool.
2. Place potatoes on the sheet pan with the bacon grease. Add oil if needed and season with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Toss gently. Bake in oven until potatoes are soft and skins are browned and crispy (25-30 minutes). Add shallots and pepper during the last 10 minutes of roasting.
3. While potatoes are still hot, gently mash with a fork and top with cheese. Place the potatoes inside of the bacon cups and top with shallots, pepper, and sour cream.
Maple Bacon Crisp Rice Footballs
• 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled into small pieces (reserve grease)
• 1 Tbsp. Butter
• 2 Tbsp. Bacon Grease
• 5 Cups Marshmallows
• 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
• 1 tsp. Maple Extract
• 6 Cups Crisp Rice Cereal
• 1/2 Cup White Icing
1. In a large sauce pan, melt butter, bacon grease and marshmallows over low heat. Stir until completely melted.
2. Remove from heat and add maple syrup, maple essence, and bacon pieces. Stir until completely mixed. Add the cereal and mix until all is well incorporated.
3. Spray your hands with cooking spray, and form the mixture into football shapes. Let chill in refrigerator until set. Pipe lines on the footballs to resemble laces.
Pizza Pops (Crust)
Pizza Dough Ingredients
• 1 1/8 tsp. Yeast
• 2/3 Cup Water, very warm to the touch
• 1 3/4 Cups Bread Flour
• 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
• 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
• 1/2 Tbsp Salt
• Cornmeal for rolling Directions
1. Dissolve yeast in 110 degree water until frothy (about 5 minutes). Combine remaining ingredients with yeast mixture in a mixer, knead with dough hook for 10 minutes. Let rise in covered bowl sprayed with cooking spray until doubled in size in warm area. Punch dough down by folding edges of the bowl into the center. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Roll out dough on a surface dusted with cornmeal. Top with toppings and bake until browned (10-12 minutes)
Pizza Pop Filling Ingredients
• 1 Recipe of Pizza Dough
• 1 Bag Shredded Mozzarella
• 1 Container Whipped Cream Cheese
• 2 365 Beef Hot Dogs, diced
• ½ Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
• 1 Cup Marinara Sauce
1. Mix together cheese, cream cheese, pepperoni, and seasoning. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Roll dough to a very thin square. Spread dough with a layer of cheese mixture. Roll dough away from you to form a pinwheel. Cut log into 1 inch pieces, lay filling side down onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Press to flatten slightly.
3. Bake until dough is slightly browned (10-15 minutes) and press a thick skewer into dough side of pop. Serve skewers in a bowl fitted with a piece of florist's foam and a side of marinara for dipping.
For more of my recipes, visit www.cookinggreensboro.com
Chef Mara Norris