Greensboro, NC-- Police in Greensboro are warning area businesses about a type of burglary that seem to be increasing.
According to the police department there has been 24 "Smash & Grab" burglaries since late September. Detectives said the suspects have broken out store front glass to enter local businesses.
Officers said the alleged burglars are using large floral planters, bricks or rocks adjacent to businesses to break out the front glass. In many cases suspects are observing the cash registers and breaking in to obtain any money that may be on hand. Cash registers are being destroyed for a few dollars of petty cash.
Greensboro police offered these tips for business owners as safety precautions:
- If have floral planters, bricks or rocks in the front of your business, you should remove them if possible. This will reduce the risk of the business being victimized.
- Do not leave cash inside your business overnight.
- Leave the cash register open and remove the drawer or turn the drawer upside down.
- Place a sign near the entrance indicating, "No Cash On Premises After Hours."
- Post signs indicating that the business has an alarm system and is under surveillance if applicable.