I'm Not Getting Paid! What Can I Do?

5:18 PM, Oct 29, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Courtesy: Getty Images

UNDATED -- People often call or email 2 Wants to Know saying their boss isn't paying them. What should you do if you're not getting paid?

The first step is filing a complaint with the Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division. You can file their complaint by calling the toll free number: 1-800-NC-LABOR (1-800-625-2267).

If you plan to call and file a complaint, you need to have this information available: the employer's name, address and phone number, the rate of your pay, the hours you worked, and how much you're owed.

The Department of Labor Wage and Hour Bureau will do an investigation and try to get the employer to pay the wages.
But they can't make them pay you back. If you don't get paid back, you-- the employee --- can pursue legal action and take the employer to small claims court.

Citizens Guide To Small Claims Court

NC Courts Complaint for Money Owed Form

We also asked the Department Of Labor a Few other Questions:

Q) What are my rights as an employee, as it comes to getting paid regularly, on time?

A) Employees must receive their pay on the regularly scheduled payday, which cannot be less than monthly.

Q) If there have been issues with bounced checks from that employer, can the employee ask/demand their payment in another form (cash or money order)?

A) Employees can request another form of payment but cannot demand it. An employer whose checks have bounced would be in violation of the Wage and Hour Act of North Carolina.







WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos