LOGANVILLE, G.A.-- Authorities in Georgia say a 2-year-old girl was severely burned when gasoline sparked a fire on a slide where she and her sister were playing.
Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman says deputies believe one of the girls poured gasoline on the outdoor slide to make it more slippery. Authorities say they believe a spark from static electricity ignited the gas Saturday morning at their father's Loganville-area home.
Chapman said the girl was in a medically induced coma and in critical condition Monday at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that authorities are treating the case as an accident and don't anticipate filing any charges. The girl's 4-year-old sister was not seriously injured.
Meanwhile, in Victorville, Calif., a girl is recovering from burns over 20 percent of her body including her face after she and friends lit a glass of gasoline on fire in a playhouse.
San Bernardino County fire officials tell the Victorville Daily Press three girls removed the gasoline from an all-terrain vehicle last week at a Wrightwood home. They put the gas in a glass and took it to a playhouse behind the house.
Fire spokesman Eric Sherwin said Sunday the girls set the glass on fire, then were startled by an adult and knocked it over, making the flames flash and ignite the clothes of one of the girls.
The adult and the other girls smothered the flames with a blanket.
Officials describe the girl as pre-teen, but her age and name weren't released.