LIVE VIDEO: Good Morning Show    Watch
 

Libyan Al-Qaeda Suspect Arrives In US

2:37 PM, Oct 14, 2013   |    comments
Photo: Associated Press
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON - Abu Anas al-Libi, the al-Qaeda leader captured earlier this month Libya, has been transferred to federal law enforcement custody in New York.

New York U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said al-Libi, indicted more than a decade ago by U.S. authorities in connection with the 1998 U.S. embassy attacks in Kenya and Tanzania, was expected to appear in federal court Tuesday.

Al-Libi would be the latest in a string of defendants to face civilian trials under President Obama. Early in his term, Obama was criticized for planning to prosecute admitted Sept. 11 attacks mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in New York.

Since then, however, the city has hosted the trial of Ahmed Ghailani, who received a life sentence on a terrorism charge in 2011.

Al-Libi, whose full name is Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, could be in court as early as Tuesday, officials said. But there were no new public court filings in his case.

The officials insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

Al-Libi used to be on the FBI's list of most wanted terrorists. His family says he was not in al-Qaeda.

U.S. special operations forces snatched him during a raid in Libya on Oct. 5.            

Most Watched Videos