Marion, NC-- Three state Transportation Department workers have pulled two people from a burning home in Marion. A DOT spokeswoman says the three men had finished patching asphalt when they saw smoke coming from a nearby house June 21. DOT worker Chris Painter called 911, and Ricky Bradley grabbed a fire extinguisher from their truck.
Bradley and Jason Ray learned two residents were asleep in a back bedroom. When they opened a door, they saw only black smoke. So they broke a window and pulled the father and son to safety.
Bradley also instructed a resident to turn off the propane tank attached to the house.
Marion Fire Chief J.E. Neal III wrote to DOT, crediting the employees with saving the two men's lives.