3 Dead, Including Suspect, In Quantico Marine Base Shooting

6:46 AM, Mar 22, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Prince William County, VA (WUSA9) -- Officials say three people are dead, including the shooter, after a shooting at Taylor Hall at Marine Corps Base Quantico.

Col. David Maxwell said during a press conference on Friday morning that at 10:30 p.m. Thursday there was a 9-1-1 call placed to the provost marshal's office. Law enforcement arrived at the scene in five minutes to investigate, but according officials, they didn't hear or fire any shots.

Originally it was also reported that there was a barricade or standoff but during their press conference later Friday morning, officials said there was no barricade or standoff. 

Officials used the base's notification system and put the base on lockdown.

Officers went to Taylor Hall, a barrack for staffers, and found a male shooting victim in the common area as soon as they made entry, said officials.  After a two hour search of Taylor Hall, officers found an adult male believed to be the shooter dead from a self-inflicted gun shot wound inside a room. They also found the body of a female, said officials on Friday morning.

All three deceased Marines are staffers of the Officer Candidate School, say officials. Quantico officials confirm the incident was confined to a single barrack at the Officer Candidate School.

The Marine Corps released this statement to residents on the base prior to the lifting of the lockdown:

An isolated shooting incident has occurred at Officer Candidate School, Quantico, Va. The suspect is still believed to be at large. PMO and Prince William County police have been dispatched. This is the most accurate and current information we have at this time.

Base residents are to follow all instructions being delivered by the Giant Voice System. Please remain inside your homes with your doors locked.

The lockdown was lifted at 2:30 a.m. Officials say all candidates of the school are safe and accounted for after this incident. All activities were cleared to resume as normal on the base.

Quantico officials say the identities of the victims will be withheld until next of kin have been notified or for 24 hours, whichever comes first. The incident is under investigation.

Most Watched Videos