GREENSBORO - There are mutliple things you can do to your home right now to better protect your family.
That includes reducing allergens, fire hazards and lead poisoning while increasing energy efficiency.
You learn all about it Wednesday, October 2nd during the Greensboro Housing Coalition's 10th Annual Bus Tour. The group will produce a video in local neighborhoods to show what programs are working to make housing healthy.
The tour is from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., but you need to call first for more information. The number to call is 336-691-9521.
Also, take a look at the Greensboro Housing Coalition's top 10 things you didn't know about housing and health.
More than $100 million. That's the yearly health care costs for North Carolina children hurt by substandard housing.
Moisture from where? Roof leaks, plumbing leaks, drainage problems and inadequate ventilation can lead to mold and rotten wood throughout a home.
Cockroaches are not just gross-the allergens they leave behind can trigger asthma attacks.
Cracked switch plates are not only a cosmetic issue. The exposure of wires can look inviting to little fingers.
Falls down stairs, in bathrooms, or just tripping on rotten floors can mean the end of independence for seniors or others with mobility challenges.
Even low levels of lead exposure in children can result in permanent brain damage (EPA). Exposure is also linked to poor school performance and low test scores.
Kerosene and mold? Though mostly known for dangerous fumes and fires, kerosene heaters change the moisture level in the home, increasing the likelihood of mold.
Integrated Pest Management is the healthy-and effective-way to eliminate pests. Take away their water (fix leaks), their food (take out garbage), and their hiding places (seal holes) and then use baits in dark corners.
Making a home energy efficient can also make it healthy. Seal cracks to keep out cold and pests, fix water leaks and add vapor barriers to keep the insulation dry, and vent gas appliances to keep carbon monoxide from becoming deadly.
Deteriorated lead-based paint in older housing is the primary cause of lead poisoning, impacting approximately 450,000 U.S. children.
WFMY News 2