GREENSBORO, N.C. - Greensboro Urban Ministry describes this summer as the worst the organization ever has seen, in terms of the number of families who have requested food services and shelter. WFMY News 2's annual "Food 2 Families" drive has teamed up with Leadership Greensboro Seniors, Well Spring Retirement Community and Greensboro grocery stories to restock the constantly emptying shelves of the organization's food pantry.
Over the next two weekends, hundreds of volunteers from more than 50 non-profit organizations and congregations will collect non-perishable food donations at area grocery stores. If volunteers are not present around collection bins, donators are encouraged to leave the items in food collection boxes labeled "Greensboro Urban Ministry."
Well Spring Retirement Community executive director Steve Fleming said his organization has been providing promotional and awareness efforts about the food drive and also has contributed both monetary donations and volunteer hours.
Greensboro Urban Ministry director of development and communication Christine Byrd said these efforts are critical in order to maintain a continuous flow of donations to Greensboro Urban Ministry. She said local farmers also have provided immense help in contributing fresh fruits and vegetables.
Greensboro Urban Ministry executive director Rev. Mike Aiken said since the state halted the extension of unemployment benefits on July 1, many families have been asking for utility and rent assistance, in addition to food.
During this emergency fall food drive, Greensboro Urban Ministry's most-desired food items include:
- Protein sources: tuna, salmon, beef stew, Spam, corned beef, peanut butter (18 oz)
- Vegetables: greens, mixed vegetables, peas, tomatoes, corn, green beans
- Fruits: peaches, pears, fruit cocktail, applesauce
- Other items: soups, sugar (two pounds), dry milk, oatmeal, macaroni & cheese, bags of dry beans, rice
Participating grocery stores include:
- Whole Foods at Friendly Center (Sept. 27 - Sept.30)
- Harris Teeter Stores (Sept. 28 - Sept. 29)
- Lowes Food stores (Oct. 4 - Oct. 5)
- Food Lion stores (Oct. 5).
WFMY News 2