Confetti Bean Soup In A Jar
12 wide-mouth pint (2-cup) canning jars
with lid and rings
14 pounds assorted dried peas, beans and
lentils (at least 8 different varieties):
baby lima beans
1. Wash, rinse and dry canning jars.
2. Layer beans in jars. Add 1/4-cup of each type of bean to the jars, layering the beans. Choose
the most colorful bean for the bottom layers of the jar. Add eight 1/4-cup layers to each jar.
3. Place 1 bay leaf and one bouillon cube on top of the beans in each jar.
4. Seal each jar using lids and rings.
[Hint for FoodSaver brand vacuum sealer owners: use the jar sealing attachment to seal bean
soup jars for longer storage.]
5. Cut appropriate amount of 7-inch circles from cotton fabric. Top each jar with fabric circle,
and tie with ribbon.
6. Print appropriate number of gift tags. Cut gift tags apart and attach to jars with ribbon. Or,
hand-write recipe tags using the recipe below.
red kidney beans
great northern beans
small red beans
12 Italian-flavor bouillon cubes (note:
substitute beef-flavor if you cannot find
12 bay leaves
Confetti Bean Soup Recipe
Set aside bouillon cube and bay leaf and choose method to soak
Quick soak: Rinse and sort beans in a large pot. Add 6-8 cups of hot water. Bring to a rapid boil,
and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain soak water and
Overnight soak: Rinse and sort beans in a large pot. Add 6-8 cups cold water. Let stand
overnight, or at least 6 to 8 hours. Drain soak water and rinse beans.
Place beans in a large pot. Add:
6 cups water
1 can (14 oz.) chopped tomatoes in juice
Simmer gently until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper.