LIVE VIDEO: News 2 Weather Special    Watch
 

Carbon Monoxide: The Things You Didn't Know

8:13 PM, Jan 9, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

A Boone hotel owner is facing charges for the deaths of three hotel guests.

Barry Mallatere is President of Appalachian Hospitality Management, which owned the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone. On two separate occasions, three guests died while staying in the same room. The cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning. A fourth person survived after being put into a medically induced coma. Officials blamed a faulty pool heater for sending lethal levels of carbon monoxide into the room, which did not have carbon monoxide detectors.

Carbon monoxide is an odor-less, color-less, taste-less gas. So having a detector is a first step in the right direction. But knowing the danger and keeping yourself out of harms way is important too.

We found some little known safety measures that surprised us and wanted to help you sort fact from fiction.

If it's cold outside, and you want to warm up your car, you might think you're doing enough opening your garage door to let out the carbon monoxide. You're wrong. Guilford County Fire Inspections Chief, Stephen Thomas says you have to pull your car all the way out of the garage. Otherwise, carbon monoxide can still build up inside the garage. Then, when you open the door from your house to the garage, carbon monoxide can get sucked inside your home.

What about sitting in a running, but idle, car? You drive it, so a car sitting still should be safe right? Wrong again. Thomas said you should not sit in your running, parked car with the windows up, especially older cars for a lengthy time. He says the carbon monoxide could leak inside. Now, we're only talking long periods of time. Short stops should be fine.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WFMY News 2

Most Watched Videos